Monday, March 17, 2014

You don't need a name tag to be a missionary



Okay...

I'm having a hard time writing today. I had a lot to say, but I'm feeling super overwhelmed. Just so much is happening back home.

A good friend of mine and many others, Elder Miller Toa, passed away on his mission this last week. I'm having a little bit of a hard time wrapping my head around it. I just wanted to give him a shout out. For being such an example to me, and soo many others, during my high school years. I know that he gave himself to the Lord completely during this past year, and I know that he is continuing the work on the other side. He will never be forgotten. Please keep his family in your prayers.

So does everyone remember last week when I said the Elders were hiding like 20 packages in the corner.. yeah. 
THEY WERE ALL MINE.

Elder Silvestre- "Hermana Cedeño. Cuando es su cumpleaños?" (Sister Cedeno.  When is your Birthday?)

Me- "Agosto, porque?" (August, Why?)

Elder Silvestre- "EN SERIO??" (ARE YOU SERIOUS??)

Me- "… si.. porque?" (Yes, Why?)

Elder Silvestre- "PORQUE CADA PAQUETE ES DE USTED, POR ESO." (BECAUSE EVERY PACKAGE IS FOR YOU, THAT'S WHY)

My family is so amazing, thank you so much for all the Valentines wishes, Hermana Lyon and I have enjoyed the food. I also received rain boots. THANK YOU.

 I got your packages Mom, thank you sooo much. I cant even express. The only things I think I didn't get out of them were my shirts, my dress, jar of peanut butter, nutella, slippers or any shampoo or conditioner.  So basically all the things I would've really wanted. hahaha  (Be warned, they go through every single package and take whatever they want.)

The beginning of this week we went and visited a less active. As we were finishing up the appointment, she decides she wants to feed us. 
The thing is, Hna. Lyon and I are already so full from lunch, and we had an appointment in 10 minutes. We tried so hard to tell her not to worry about it, but she insisted.  So she brings out bread and eggs. And I'm like "sweet, hard boiled eggs, ill just pop the whole thing in my mouth and we´ll get out of here."   

WRONG

I crack that crap, and it comes out on my plate.. and its an egg. Like.. fresh out of the chicken. And Hermana Lyon is like trying SO hard not to laugh as I just stare at it.. and the Less Active is like.. "AH, perfecto!" and starts dipping bread in it like its Nutella. And.. she ate it all. 

Ain't no way...

Later that day, we´re walking down the street like laughing uncontrollably about something that happened earlier that day and this lady RUNS UP TO US and says, "DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH".. but she says it in Spanish.
And we tell her yes,  that we´re missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that’s why we're here. She tells us she is an English professor and she doesn’t know English. She says she wants us to teach her English. And then she's like-
"QUIERO IR A SU IGLESIA"  (I WANT TO GO TO YOUR CHURCH)

And I'm like trying to tell her that they don’t all speak English at the church and she is just totally fine with that she just wants to come sit with us...
And I'm just like so confused because usually these roles are switched and I'm the one begging people to come to church. So I'm like.. okay, lady, if you INSIST..you can come to church with us. Haha We´re excited to get to know her a little more.
I kind of wanted to talk about my investigators for a little bit.
An investigator named Pilar had a baptism date for THIS Saturday and Hermana Lyon and I were SO excited. The problem? She cant stop drinking TEA every morning. She drank it yesterday, so we had to postpone her date another week. The poor thing wants to be baptized and is just having the hardest time leaving behind such a worldly, useless.. THING

We are helping her realize that she is stronger than she realizes. We are praying she will be able to be baptized in the next two weeks.

Also Leslye. She is golden. We found her and have been teaching her since the beginning. She is getting baptized on the 29 of March and she is progressing so well! We are so proud of her. Her father is menos (less) active and her mom is catholic. She is so excited to be baptized and is inviting everyone. She is such an example to her family!
Fernanda, Pablo´s (the ballerina) "wife...", also has a date. The problem… is that her and Pablo need to get married first! So her date just keeps getting pushed back again and again. She is still trying to find her answer through prayer, scripture study and church attendance, but we are trying to find another way to help her. Hermana Lyon and I have come to love her dearly and we are trying to do all we can to get her on track and keep her there!
Another one we have is Yolanda, the lady that cut my hair a few weeks back. She is a hard core Testigo de Jehovah (Jehovah Witness) and it is like scripture combat every time we go visit her haha We are just.. almost arguing and it totally drives the spirit away.. and its hard because we are all three so close and such good friends, but religion is just so hard to talk about with her!! 
We really want to try next time to teach with the SPIRIT. To testify of what we know to be true and how we came to know it. We really think that will help her and we really think that that's what she has needed this whole time.

 This is last P-Day!

Yesterday.. I gave a talk in church.  I WAS SO SCARED.
I don’t give talks.. in Spanish. Haha but I just told the ward about how my family and I started going back to church when I was about 13. It all started with leaders from the ward and friends sharing the gospel with us. That's what members need to do. I'm so grateful that when I have to end my mission.. I can still be a missionary. Maybe I wont have my plaquita on my shirt, but I will have it on my heart. I will never stop sharing the Gospel. I love watching the Gospel change peoples lives right before my eyes just the way that the church leaders watched the Gospel change the lives of my family and I.  We will always be so grateful to them, and they know EXACTLY who they are :-)

 He is sooooo attractive!  I had to get a picture with him ;-)

The Church is true, love you all.

Hermana Cedeño

No comments:

Post a Comment